This commission for a private customer was a delight to make. My clients wanted a mosaic for their wall outside their house. After initial discussions by email and a site visit I made three drawings and they chose this one.
As my clients didn’t want very strong or bright colours I chose to use stained glass as I could choose colours that were not as bold as smalti but fresher than vitreous glass.
I was also able to use a fair amount of gold smalti. As the gold smalti was thicker than the stained glass I decided to make it indirect on plastic. It would need a fairly deep bed of cement adhesive to make a flat surface. The flat surface would make it easier to clean off any algae that might collect on it over the years.
Once the leaves and birds were complete I received my luscious order of gold!
There is always so much satisfaction when placing the last piece!
I used sand to stop the gaps so I could grout from the other side. Here you can also see the electrical cable flex I used as a temporary edge while I filled the mosaic with cement adhesive. (There’s always a use for broken things one day)
Thick bed of adhesive and levelling before pushing boards firmly on the top. (And piling on the weight to ensure a good hold)
I made a sandwich of light weight cement boards with adhesive in the middle (my partner called it a custard cream) not only for strength but also because the boards were in two halfs; the first layed horizontally and the second vertically.
However it was still very heavy!
After a few days drying it was turned over and the plastic pulled off.
The trunk was made as a separate piece.
Thought I’d learnt my lesson from the last one I made on plastic and I used a weaker pva glue than then, but it was still a devil to get clean.
Brushed out the sand and grouted.
And gazed at the gold…
I had some help with installing it on the wall.
Final touches glueing olives over the screws.
My two boys doing a few hours work for a change!!!
One happy customer
One happy me