A couple of weeks ago I was a student for a day on a glass fusing course. My only past experience with glass fusing was when I was 12 years old, when I made a pendant. I still have it, but unfortunately it broke into two when it was dropped a couple of years ago.
The course this time was held at the Liquid Glass Centre in Wingfield, Wiltshire. I made some test tiles using mica’s, copper wire, enamels, and bullseye glass, and some pendants. However they didn’t work as well as I hoped as the thermocouple in the kiln was faulty, which resulted in too low a temperature.
Luckily I had the chance to go back and make some more pendants. I used bright bullseye glass and dichroic glass sandwiched between clear (float) glass. Here are the pieces before firing.
I wanted to make simple tessellated pieces because I was interested to see whether they would retain the tesselation or if it would fuse together. As you see here the glass has kept most of the tessellation and I am pleased with the results. I like the way the fibre paper pulls the shape in (this is put in to make a hole so cord can be threaded through for the pendant)
Then I made a bigger piece. It is based on a sketch I drew inspired by the markings on a Ray I saw in one of the pools of the sealife centre in Weymouth.
Here is the design.
Again I laid out the design like a layered mosaic, onto a sheet of float glass. I wasn’t happy with the grey glass that we crushed into frit, as it wasn’t dark enough and I hoped it would darken a bit in the kiln. Here is the piece ready to be fired.
And here it is after firing.
Although quite a nice piece of glass, I am not really pleased with the results. The grey glass hadn’t darkened enough in tone and it was blotchy, and the red glass I used in the background was a glass that changed colour once fired. Unfortunately I only realized this once I had finished the piece ready to be fired and then it was too late to change it. I didn’t want so much red, I wanted amber!
Funny thing is it looks like I am about to fry some eggs!